Welcome to the 2021-22 school year! We hope all of you had a great summer and are ready for an exciting year at Irving. Bethel continues to plan for students to return to buildings five days a week starting on Wednesday, September 8th. Irving staff can’t wait to welcome our students and families back to school!
New Irving Teachers
I am excited to introduce Irving’s new teachers! Please welcome:
- Remi Smith, Counselor (joining Irving to work with Mrs. EJ!)
- Anessa Jones, 5th grade
- Aleethia Collins, 2nd grade
- Shania Vetter, 2nd grade
- Cameron Armstrong, Music
- Sara Thornton, Spanish (Every student will get to have Spanish Instruction each week in a specials rotation of Music, PE, and Foreign Language!)
- PE, TBD
- Title I Reading-Kim Liebenberg-Battles
- Amanda Johnson, 4th grade (teaching with Mrs. Moss)
Please continue to read below for information on Health and Safety and Meet Your Teacher Night!
Health and Safety
Many families have Health and Safety questions about the upcoming school year. Here are a few details about Irving. Keep in mind procedures could change if guidance to schools change. Thank you for staying connected to the Bethel and Irving blog. This is where you will continue to get the latest updates.
- In accordance with Oregon mask mandate, students and staff will be required to wear face coverings at school. Students do not have to wear a mask at recess and we will be working with staff and students to ensure physical distancing while playing at recess. Students did a really great job of this last school year.
- Each classroom will have a mask break area set up. In most cases, this is outside the classroom door and in view of teachers. This will allow students to get fresh air while taking a mask break.
- We will be cohorting students to the greatest extent possible. (staying in classroom groups in all areas of the school including recess and lunch)
- We will each lunch outside as much as we can. Irving is experienced at having students eat outside. When the weather is not cooperating, each grade level will have their own lunch in the cafeteria. Each class will take one side of the cafeteria and be physically distanced while eating.
- Students will be physically distanced in classrooms, maintaining 3 ft between students to the extent possible.
- We will continue to disinfect high-touch surfaces, promote frequent hand-washing and hand sanitizing. Teachers will continue to prioritize and encourage hand washing throughout the day as appropriate.
- All heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems continue to maximize outside air circulation in schools and buildings. Air filters are maintained and replaced, as necessary, to ensure the proper function of HVAC systems.
Next week I will share more specific details with families about what to expect when Irving welcomes students back on Wednesday, September 8th, including student drop off and pick up information.
Meet Your Teacher Night at Irving
This year we will be holding Irving’s Meet Your Teacher Night outside of classrooms and stagger arrival times for families based on student’s last names. For added safety, masks will be required. Please mark your calendars for Thursday, September 2nd. Irving’s Meet Your Teacher Night will be a chance for you to meet your child’s teacher and take a brief walk through the classroom.
5:00-5:30 Students with last names beginning with A-K
5:30-6:00 Students with last names beginning with L-Z
We will help direct families to the classrooms where teachers will be waiting outside. I will send additional details to families early next week.
We hope to see many Irving families, Thursday, September 2nd for Meet Your Teacher Night!