Shasta Middle School
Grades: 6 through 8
Phone: (541) 688-9611
Fax: (541) 689-9382
Address: 4656 Barger Dr. Eugene, OR 97402
School Hours: 9:10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Driving instructions: Beltline Road to Barger Drive. West on Barger.
The first day of school is Tuesday, September 2, 2014. All students, grades 6-8, will have a regularly scheduled day (9:10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.), with supervision is from 8:30 a.m. – 3:45 p.m. Breakfast is free to all students. Students need to bring their supplies with them on the first day of school. Sixth grade students will have a brief orientation in the cafeteria at 9:05 a.m., then go to their homeroom classes.
Homeroom classes will be posted at the front office Friday, August 29, 2014 after 3:00 p.m. On the first day of school students will go to their homeroom class and receive their full schedule there.
The Shasta Open House is Thursday, September 18, 2014 at 6:30 p.m.
I am excited to be back for my second year as the principal of Shasta Middle School, I want to welcome you to our school. I feel privileged to have the opportunity to work with the highly qualified and dedicated staff, wonderful students, and the supportive parents.
Our staff is committed to working with students and their families as a team. The rigorous curriculum is directly aligned to the Oregon State Standards. To help each child achieve to his/her fullest potential, the school provides both enrichment and intervention supports for students. We believe in knowing each child by “name and need.”
Thanks to the Bethel Bond Measure being passed, our school is receiving a makeover in the Ochocos wing. The rooms in that wing have been painted and new carpet has been installed. We have also had the roof leaks fixed throughout the school and video cameras installed.
Research shows that parental involvement in a child’s education benefits the child. These benefits are higher levels of academic achievement, positive attitudes, and greater maturity and responsibility. Consider becoming a school volunteer. There are many areas where your help would be appreciated. Volunteer forms are available at http://fm3.bethel.k12.or.us/background/default.htm and take up to two weeks for the district office to verify. The volunteer forms are valid for three years. A volunteer form needs to be filled prior to parents working in a classroom or chaperoning on a fieldtrip.
We welcome all our families back to another exciting, challenging year. Always contact your child’s teacher first with any concerns you may have. Please know that I am available to meet with you in person or talk to you over the telephone to discuss any concerns you may have. I look forward to a great year and to meeting all our new children and their families.
- Registration will take place August 13-14 from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the cafeteria.
- First day of school – September 2nd
- Open House – September 18th from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Eighth grade parents,
1) The Departure Ceremony will take place at Willamette High School in the Main Gym on Thursday, June 12, starting at 6:30 p.m. The Departure Ceremony consists of recognition and awards and certificates of completion for EACH student. Families are invited and encouraged to attend, with the doors opening at 6:00 p.m.
2) The Eighth Grade Celebration will take place at Shasta immediately following the Departure Ceremony and will end promptly at 10:00 p.m. Students WILL need to be transported to Shasta, which will feature a dance.
- Students will need to be at Shasta within 30 minutes of the end of the Departure Ceremony or they will not be allowed to participate in the Celebration activities.
- Students are expected to stay until the dance ends. Any student who leaves the building may not return to the dance.
- Food and drink will be provided. No outside food or drinks may be brought in to the dance.
We hope to see you all there!
It’s that time of year again when 8th graders design, construct, and race cardboard boats at Echo Hollow Pool. Students design boats based on Archimedes Principle and water displacement; they then construct them using only corrugated cardboard and clear packaging tape. The 3rd and 4th period Science classes held their race Tuesday, while 5th and 6th periods will race on Wednesday. Some of the boats were successful, while others were not, but there were plenty of smiles, laughter, and teamwork in the process. The fastest boat, paddled by Megan Mugleston and Cediara Thomson, made it across the pool in 38 seconds! Television crews from KEZI and KVAL were present at Echo Hollow Pool documenting the event.
Thanks to the Bethel Bond, our students will be getting new curriculum next year in Language Arts and Math. If you would like some of these discarded textbooks, please stop by the Media Center on Wednesday or Thursday from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. We have tons to give away so be sure to bring something to put your books in. This is open to the public, so tell your family and friends!