School Safety Reminder and Communication Protocol
All Willamette staff have been trained in how to respond in the event of an Active Shooter on campus. In the past six years, we have conducted several safety drills in our school, and we are planning another safety training with students and staff to occur in the coming weeks.
The importance that we all play in keeping our school safe cannot be underestimated. If you see or hear something- online or otherwise – please say something to a trusted adult at school. It is our responsibility as members of our community to report concerns that we may become aware of.
In the event of a lockdown, we will share details with you as soon as we are able, but as in any lockdown our first priority is ensuring the safety of our students and staff.
Please do not call the school as we use our phone system as our main method of communication with staff and students.
Here are the communication steps that we follow in a lockdown:
- Students and staff are alerted with bells and an intercom message
- Once they are in secured rooms, staff and students receive as much information as possible
- Staff are sent a message for students to text or email to their parents
- Information is posted on the Willamette home page, Facebook page, and the Bethel home page
- Communication cycle is repeated with updated information until the lockdown has ended.
As a parent, you can check our website for the most up to date information. Absence of information simply means we are ensuring your student’s safety and are awaiting factual information to share.
Together we can work to keep our school community safe. We are a strong community and a proud Wolverine Nation.