On Saturday, January 28th, students in the Shasta Middle School Jazz band were featured as one of the outstanding ensembles invited to perform at the 24th Annual Oregon Jazz Festival. Luke Turner, an 8th grade tenor saxophone player at Shasta, was also chosen to perform as an outstanding soloist with the University of Oregon jazz ensemble.
While the Oregon Jazz Festival is a non-competitive festival, judges pick exceptional bands from the day to perform at the evening concert. For three years in a row, Shasta has been chosen out of 28 bands to showcase their talent. This year’s concert also featured Lane and University of Oregon’s Jazz Ensembles, as well as the Grammy nominated saxophonist, Ben Wendel.
Shasta Jazz Band had a busy month! On January 14th they performed by invitation at the Oregon Music Educators State Conference. They were only one of two middle school bands from the state selected to perform at the prestigious conference. This was the Shasta Jazz Band’s second state conference performance and their second time performing at the Hult Center this school year. The band was presented a plaque for their contributions.
The Oregon Jazz Festival is a collaboration of the University of Oregon and Lane Community College. Each year this event brings together students, jazz educators, performing artists and enthusiasts to create a positive learning experience for all involved. By sharing resources, the University of Oregon and Lane Community College do a great deal to enhance the jazz experience in our community.
Comprised of 20 young musicians, the Shasta Jazz band performs at various festivals and venues throughout the state each year. Noted for their professionalism, cohesiveness and great style by professional musicians including the legendary Branford Marsalis, this award-winning band leaves a lasting impression with every performance.
Eighth Grade Parents Meeting – We will be meeting February 2nd at 7:00 p.m. in the Media Center to plan the 8th grade end of the year activities. Please note the following date change for the Departure Ceremony.
Departure Ceremony – Friday, June 16th at 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. @ WHS followed by the celebration at 7:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. in Shasta’s Cafeteria
PTO Meeting – February 8th, 6:30 p.m. in the Media Center
Immunization Exclusion Day – February 15th
January Students of the Month – Click here to see view
Good news! You can now click the “translate” button on the right side of this page and it will translate the written form into Spanish. This works for all the pages on our website.
¡Buenas noticias! Usted puede presionar el botón de “traducción” a su lado derecho localizado en el blog de la página de nuestra escuela y le traducirá la forma escrita en español. Esto funciona para todas las páginas de nuestro sitio web.
The Oregon Tax Code provides an additional tax exemption for parents of eligible children with disabilities in Oregon. The procedure for claiming an exemption for the 2016 tax year is explained in the Oregon Individual Income Tax Return and Instruction booklets. Click here for more information.
El Código fiscal de Oregon ofrece una exención fiscal adicional para los padres de niños con discapacidades elegibles en Oregon. El procedimiento para solicitar una exención para el año fiscal 2016 se explica en la Declaración de Impuestos Individual de Oregon y los folletos de instrucciones. Click Haga clic aquí para más información.
Just a quick reminder that the rescheduled student-led conferences are Thursday, January 26th. This will be a half day of school, with a release time of 12:30 p.m. If you need to make changes to your conference time, please contact the homeroom teacher by calling the school at 541-688-9611 or emailing the teacher directly.
Friday, the 27th is a regular full day of school, but No School on Monday, January 30th as it is a Curriculum Development day.
Thank you for your patience, we look forward to seeing you at conferences on Thursday.
Hi Shasta Middle School Families,
We are excited to share the District’s finalized plans to make up lost classroom time due to the six Snow Days and two Delayed Starts we’ve already experienced. These changes will allow Shasta students to recover meaningful instructional time without putting a big dent in family summer plans.
The new schedule is attached, and here are the changes:
- February 13 (previously a high school no-school day) will become a school day for all district students
- February 20 (Presidents Day) will become a school day for all students
- March 3 (previously a no-school day for K-8 students) will become a school day for all students
- Monday June 19th, and Tuesday June 20thwill be full school days for K-11 students (seniors will have graduated)
- June 20thwill now be the last day of school for students (it will be a full-day, not an early release)
- If we have additional Snow Days this winter they may be added to the calendar after June 20th
- Attached are the English and Spanish version of the revised District Calendar, please click on the language of choice to view.
Please mark these changes on your calendar and plan to have your child in school on these days. All Bethel students will now be in the classroom for more hours than is required by the state, and we want to provide as much meaningful instructional time as possible. The cancelled school days have shown that each day of instruction is important for our children.
Thanks for your patience as the schedule was being reworked, and let me know if you have any questions 541-688-9611.
Principal, Shasta Middle School
Estamos muy contentos de compartir los planes finalizados del Distrito para reemplazar el tiempo perdido en el aula debido a los seis Días de Nieve y dos Retrasos que ya hemos experimentado. Estos cambios permitirán que los estudiantes de Shasta recuperen tiempo de instrucción significativo sin afectar demasiado los planes de verano de la familia.
El nuevo horario se adjunta, y aquí están los cambios:
- El 13 de febrero (anteriormente un día sin clases para la escuela secundaria) se convertirá en un día escolar para todos los estudiantes en los grados K-12.
- El 20 de febrero (Día de los Presidentes) se convertirá en un día escolar para todos los estudiantes
- El 3 de marzo (anteriormente un día sin clases para los estudiantes de K-8) se convertirá en un día escolar para todos los estudiantes.
- Lunes 19 de junio y martes 20 de junio serán días escolares completos para estudiantes de K-11 (los estudiantes mayores se habrán graduado)
- El 20 de junio será el último día de clases para los estudiantes (será un día completo; los estudiantes no saldrán temprano)
- Si tenemos días adicionales de nieve este invierno, pueden ser agregados al calendario después del 20 de junio
Por favor marque estos cambios en su calendario y planee que su hijo/a asista a la escuela en estos días. Todos los estudiantes de Bethel ahora estarán en el salón de clases por más horas que las requeridas por el estado, y queremos proveer tanto tiempo instructivo significativo como sea posible. Los días escolares cancelados han demostrado que cada día de instrucción es importante para nuestros hijos.
Gracias por su paciencia mientras el horario estaba siendo reelaborado, y esperamos que nos llamen al si tiene alguna pregunta 541-688-9611.
Principal, Shasta Middle School
Bethel School District has become aware that some students are absent because of a respiratory illness. From the information we have at this point, it appears that the illness might be caused by influenza or “flu”.
If you think your child has the flu, the following will help you and help prevent others from getting sick:
- Stay at home for 24 hours until after fever has resolved without the aid of fever reducing medicines (e.g., Advil or Tylenol)
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when sick. Maintain distance from other people to prevent the spread of illness.
- Wash hands often with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are also helpful in reducing the spread of the flu.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with tissues or by coughing into the inside of the elbow. Wash hands after blowing the nose or coughing into a tissue, and dispose of tissues after use.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth to prevent the spread of germs.
- Get the flu vaccine! The flu vaccine is the best way to prevent seasonal flu.
Click here for more information regarding the flu, its symptoms, and how serious it can be.