Please take a moment to read school news and updates below.
- The PTO Monster Mash Bingo Bash was a huge success! We had a great turnout for the event. Students enjoyed dancing led by Mrs. Stowell, costume contest, and lots of Bingo! Thank you to Irving PTO for putting on this great event and fundraising to support Irving students and staff!
- Just a reminder that students won’t be wearing costumes to school on Thursday Oct.31st. Students had opportunity to wear costumes to the Monster Mash Bingo Bash last Friday. Teachers have some fun classroom activities planned for students on Thursday Oct. 31st!
- Parent/Teacher Conference forms are being sent home on Friday November 8th. Please return conference forms to the office or classroom teacher by Friday November 15th. Parent/Teacher conferences will be held on Wednesday December 4th and Thursday December 5th. Students will be dismissed from school at 11:30am on Thursday December 5th.
- Attention Kindergarten Parents! The Kindergarten Music Program is on Thursday November 21st at 7:00pm in the Irving Cafeteria.
- Picture Retake day is on Wednesday November 20th.
By now, many of you have heard about additional funding coming to K-12 schools next year from Oregon’s Student Success Act (SSA.) This is exciting news! I want to share Bethel School District’s process for determining where those additional funds will be directed. Our process and plan is guided by requirements of the Act, these items in particular:
- Meet Students’ Mental or Behavioral Health Needs
- Increase Achievement
*A strong focus in equity has been defined by the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) as:
- “Education equity is the equitable implementation of policy, practices, procedures, and legislation that translates into resource allocation, education rigor, and opportunities for historically and currently marginalized youth, students, and families including civil rights protected classes.”
The ODE is directing districts to reexamine our systems and processes with a goal of closing the achievement gap among our students.
You are invited to the Irving Elementary School Open House on Wednesday October 23rd from 6:30pm-7:30pm.
Open House Agenda
6:30 Students dropped off in classrooms with their teacher
6:35-6:50 Parent Presentation in Cafeteria
(Principal, Counselor, Reading Specialist Presentation)
6:50-7:30 Student-Led Presentation in classrooms
*Cookies handed out in classrooms after student-led presentations
*If multiple grade levels start with youngest child classroom first
Looking forward to a great night with Irving Families!
Click here for Open House Information
Please read Irving News and Information below:
Irving PTO Birthday Box Bash
Irving’s PTO has been approved for the Disney Parks Points of Light Family Volunteering Reward Program that allows the PTO to earn Disneyland Park Hopper Tickets based on the number of volunteers that participate in our event tomorrow night, Friday October 4th. We need your help in two ways:
- Donate items for Birthday Boxes
- Bring lots of family and friends to help on October 4th.
For more information about items to donate click here.
Thank you for supporting our community!
Elementary School Health Screening
Health Screenings for grades K -5 will be performed throughout the district beginning in September. Screenings will include vision and dental. Please contact your school Health Assistant if you do not want your child to participate in health screening. Please consider being a parent volunteer on their screening day!
Revisiones de Salud en las escuelas primarias
Los exámenes de salud para los alumnos de los grados K -5 se llevarán a cabo en todo el distrito a partir de septiembre. Los exámenes incluirán, examen de la visión y dental. Por favor, póngase en contacto con la Asistente de Salud Escolar si usted no desea que su hijo participe en los exámenes de la salud. ¡Por favor considere ser un padre voluntario en el día de Los Exámenes de Salud!
Thank you to Irving families and students who participated in Walk and Roll to School Day. Irving had over 160 students participate! Irving will have another Walk and Roll to School Day in the spring. Walking and Rolling to school is always a great way to start the day!
5th Grade Bike Safety
Irving 5th grade students participated in Bike Safety the past two weeks. The Eugene Parks Foundation and City of Eugene help support Bike Safety for 5th grade students in Bethel. The goal of the program is to increase bike ridership and safety among youth so they can have fun traveling predictably and visibly throughout the community. The lessons lead to fun community ride on the last two days of Bike Safety.
My name is Elizabeth Johnson and I am the school counselor at Irving on Monday, Tuesday and Thursdays. This is my fourteenth year as a school counselor and my fourth year at Irving. Additionally, we have very exciting news that we have another school counselor, Will Davidson, who is at Irving Monday afternoons and Wednesday mornings. This is Will’s first year and he is also the school counselor at Danebo. We’re thrilled to have him join our team!
During September, I am visiting all K-5 classes at Irving and introducing myself to the students, Will is also making himself available to meet and get to know as many students as possible. It has been a blast to meet each of them and share a bit about ourselves and the role of the school counselor. In the coming months, as part of our comprehensive guidance curriculum, we will be teaching lessons in all classes reinforcing the Irving Pillars, as well as addressing academic, personal/social and career development.
Additionally, we will run a variety of small counseling groups throughout the year. We work on developing skills including: building friendships, impulse control, anger management, academic solutions and addressing changing families (including divorce, grief, or other changes in living situations). If you are interested in having your child participate, please feel free to contact one of us or your child’s classroom teacher.
Please stop by our shared office (located behind the main office) and we look forward to meeting or reconnecting with you! J
Elizabeth Johnson & Will Davidson
Irving Elementary School Counselors