Hand Washing and Illness Prevention
Students should wash their hands prior to eating at school and also remember to wash your hands after coughing or sneezing.
These are the simple, everyday, low-tech steps we can take to reduce our chances of exposure to illness and to protect others. These are the same preventive measures for COVID-19, flu, the common cold and other respiratory illnesses:
* Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol.
* Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
* Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue (or sleeve) and then throw the tissue in the trash.
* Clean and disinfect surfaces that are often touched.
* Stay home if you’re sick.
* Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
* Take care of your health overall. Staying current on your vaccinations, including flu vaccine, eating well and exercising all help your body stay resilient.