Kindergarten in Bethel
Bethel School District is proud to offer full-day kindergarten for all students. Researchers have noted that full-day kindergarten leads to higher academic achievement and reduced achievement gaps among students of different economic and racial/ethnic groups; decreases costs by reducing the need for additional academic support in later years; contributes to increased school readiness; and promotes children‘s social and emotional development.
In Bethel School District kindergartners will enjoy:
- A full-day of school
- Safe and secure environments
- Free breakfasts for all students
- Music and PE specialists
- Counselors in every school
- New computers, classroom projectors, and curriculum in each classroom
- Community support, at an all-time high in Bethel School District
- Involved families who are making Bethel their school district of choice
Learning and Doing in Kindergarten
Bethel Kindergarten students will learn to:
- Recognize all upper and lower case letters
- Use sounds and letters to read and spell words
- Ask and answer questions about key details in a text
- Think mathematically to solve problems with numbers and objects
- Compare and order objects by attributes
- Express thoughts, feelings and ideas clearly while speaking
- Write brief stories that use drawings to support meaning
- Listen to, understand, and follow school expectations
- Socialize and enjoy learning with peers
- Take part in music and P.E.
2019 Kindergarten Orientations
Parents of incoming 2019 Kindergartners can:
- Learn all about Bethel’s terrific Kindergarten program
- Meet the teachers, counselors, principals and other key staff
- Take home a free special book for incoming Bethel Kindergartners
- Pre-register for the coming school year.
Parents are encouraged to attend one or more of the Kindergarten Orientation meetings in April 2019 at schools throughout the district:
April 23, 3:15 & 6:30
April 24, 3:15 & 6:30
March 6, 6:30 (Open House)
April 24, 3:15 – 7:00 (Pre-registration)
April 24, 2:45 & 6:00
April 25, 3:15 & 6:30
April 25, 3:30 & 6:30
April 25, 2:30 & 6:00
Students, who are five years old on or before September 1, will be admitted to Bethel’s kindergarten program. A student attaining age five on or before September 1 qualifies for kindergarten. Students who turn age five after September 1 and before November 1 may be considered for early entry into kindergarten if they are determined to be sufficiently advanced to succeed in the educational program based on the student’s:
- Readiness skills
- Cognitive Ability (intelligence)
- Social/emotional and/or physical development
You are welcome to visit Bethel’s schools. Please make arrangements ahead of time with the school you wish to visit so plans can be made to escort you throughout the building.
Parents are encouraged to become familiar with the principals, teachers and the instructional program. All Bethel schools offer a similar enriching kindergarten curriculum. Please explore, visit and then pre-register your child for Bethel kindergarten by visiting your neighborhood school office.
For more information call the district office at 541-689-3280 or go here to email your questions.