News For Incoming Kindergarten Students
Now in its 5th year, the Kindergarten Smart Start program is a carefully designed process intended to ensure a successful transition into kindergarten for your child.
During the first week of school, your child will attend school one day. During the second week of school, from Monday through Thursday, your child will attend school on a staggered start, a half-day either in the morning or afternoon. This will enable kindergarten staff to:
- Introduce your child to school in small groups with a supportive team of educators
- Teach expectations and routines as they learn about recess on the playground
- Teach cafeteria procedures as they eat lunch
- Assess students in academic areas and school readiness activities in small groups
- Meet with families to learn more about your child
- Determine classroom assignments to best meet the educational needs of every child
Smart Start also allows time for you to meet with your child’s kindergarten teacher before the school year begins. At this meeting, you can help the teacher get to know your child and ask any questions you may have about the upcoming school year.
During registration, you will sign up for a time to meet with your child’s classroom teacher on Thursday, September 5th or Friday, September 6th and indicate a preference for either the morning or afternoon for staggered start the second week of school (September 9-13). Your school will notify you of the exact time of your parent/teacher meeting and confirm your staggered start time.