Eugene, Oregon USA

Surprise Recognition On Teacher Appreciation Week

Award being presented.

Willamette teacher Joe Mancuso receives the Franz Bakery Teacher Appreciation Award. At right is co-worker Edane Chism, who nominated Mancuso for the award.

He wasn’t quite sure what to make of it when a handful of strangers, administrators and students barged into his classroom.

Imagine the surprise when Willamette’s Joe Mancuso was honored with the Franz Bakery Teacher Appreciation Award. He is one of 40 educators in an eight state region to receive the award.

Representatives from Franz Bakery presented Mancuso with a $500 check and certificates for a year’s supply of bread. Fellow WHS teacher Edane Chism submitted the nomination to recognize Mancuso, without his knowledge. She also received a year’s supply of bread.

Finally, Franz delivered more than 100 reusable shopping bags full of bread products for all the staff at Willamette as part of Teacher Appreciation Week, and they prepared hot grilled cheese sandwiches for all the students in Mancuso’s class.

2 Responses to Surprise Recognition On Teacher Appreciation Week

• Nice award for my son in law who has contributed several years to teaching in the area. Hope he gets wheat bread! LOL.

• What an incredible honor to receive. Like many teachers in the District, Joe works tirelessly to bring the necessary tools and skill-sets to each of his students to help prepare them for their next stages in life! Well done Joe!

• I am absolutely honored to accept this award on behalf of Franz Bakery, Bethel School District, Willamette High School. A very special thank you to Edane Chism, who nominated me and took the time to write about my talents as a Special Education Teacher working with students with Behavior and Social Skills. An enormous salute to all of this year’s nominees each of whom have made incredible contributions to education as Teachers. For my students…this award would not be possible without your dedication to the classroom and the course work.

Most importantly, thank you to my wife, family and close friends for always supporting me and encouraging my growth as an educator in Bethel School District..

Joe Mancuso